Monday, October 23, 2006

Lenin, Stalin, and Shakespeare

Chisinau, and especially Transnistria, still have shadows of the communist era. On Saturday morning Nathan and I roamed around the downtown area, and came across the monument pictured here. I don't know yet what the inscription says, but the third word is clearly a reference to Lenin. Farther on, back between some buildings in the center of town, we saw a statue in disrepair that looks to me to surely be Stalin, though it seems he was discredited by later communists, and would not be represented in public in the years since. Am I right? Am I even right that the statue is Stalin?? I'll have to work on that later.

But it's when you enter Transnistria that you really see the Soviet era propaganda. I'm not sure yet what this sign in Benderi says, but notice the hammer and sickle at the top. The third photo shows a huge propaganda monument in the middle of a Benderi traffic circle, that speaks of progress, hope, hard work, etc. Another large sign has three large medallions featuring “CCCP” (USSR) and also the hammer and sickle repeatedly. In Transnistria, these images are more than just shadows of the past.

Serghei, Nathan, and I had a good discussion/study with Zhenya (Eugene, 30ish or less) Saturday at noon, that lasted 3 hours. He has investigated a number of religious groups, and at times felt at home with some, but is still searching. Lately he has been associating with the Christians here. He had several questions, and seemed to be satisfied with our answers for the most part. From Serghei, it sounds like Zhenya, for the moment, is just lacking the decisiveness to commit.

On Sunday, Nathan preached in Balti, with Second Serghei teaching. Serghei Corcimaru and I went to Tiraspol in the morning, where Serghei directed the assembly. This is the church established by institutional brethren, but which are displeased with the man supposedly preaching for them. Several were absent, but Sasha from Benderi came to join us and those present. I preached in both Tiraspol and in Chisinau, with Nathan teaching a study period in Chisinau. In both Tiraspol and Chisinau I preached on the need for involvement by all in the work and assemblies of the church. It's a much needed topic here, and one that Serghei requested even before I came. I've seen a little fruit from this effort already. I hope I will see considerably more.

Today was our “Day of Rest,” which means we were able last week to know we would have time today for an appointment with the two college girls who initially wanted to speak with us for English language improvement. One of them at least, is sincerely interested in learning why we believe in the Bible and in God – though this may be a mere academic interest as I sometimes found in the Czech Republic. At any rate, we studied for about an hour and a half...and covered what I might cover in the States in about 25 to 30 minutes. Their English skills are not so developed yet, which makes for slow going. I spoke with them about the problem of sin (Gen 1-3) to indicate the need for a Savior to come, and then started in with the OT prophecies, having hoped to get into typology a little bit. We didn't even finish the few basic prophetic passages I had in mind. But we have another appointment for Friday, and even if we don't get very far before our departure, I think it might be far enough for her to want to start meeting with Serghei. The girls are both named Christina, and the picture was made at our door just before they left today.

Most of the rest of the day was spent in preparation for our lecture tomorrow at the teachers' university here in Chisinau. Serghei Corcimaru's wife Anna teaches English there, and has invited us to speak on Shakespeare, in a way that can link to Biblical principles. Quite a task I figured....especially since, as best I can remember, I have never read anything that Shakespeare ever wrote. Which is why, when she offered me some lecture topics a few months ago, I reserved the topic “How the King James Version Influenced the English Language.” Unfortunately for me, someone here a few weeks previous to me (initials JMS) stole that topic and left me with the Bard! Actually, though, having investigated one play in particular, I think our efforts with Shakespeare will lead to a better link to actual Biblical teaching than the KJV lecture would have. Ever read “The Merchant of Venice”? Very entertaining trial scene, but more significantly, it looks like Shakespeare was deliberately borrowing Biblical principles concerning justice and mercy, in his story of a Jew and a Christian at court. The Jew is insisting on the full and harsh execution of justice against the Christian who is financially indebted to him, and unable to pay. Portia, as a lawyer exhorts Shylock:

“And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
Though justice be thy plea, consider this,
That, in the course of justice, none of us
Should see salvation: we do pray for mercy;
And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
The deeds of mercy...”

So, Nathan and I tell the story, then academically (one cannot proselytize on campus) point out that Shakespeare was basing his story on principles found the in the scriptures of Christianity, and elaborate on that. Then take questions for 40 minutes. Wise as serpents, innocent as doves. I hope it goes well.

3 comments:

Darryl said...

Hey Beth...Thanks for the email! Nathan says hi, and we're also wondering where you are these days. We don't know half the places you mentioned! Say, could you provide the location of one of those Turkish owned restaraunts with salmon/vegetables? -Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hey Darryl, Nathan... It's great to hear that you two are getting to stay as busy as you are with visiting and meeting new people and teaching so much. It's very good to hear about the enthusiasm and initiative the brethren in Tiraspol and Balti have towards studying. I'll keep both of you in prayers for continued success in the work out there. Take care and thanks for the postings.--Jonathan H.

Darryl said...

Hey VanHinds! Good to hear from you! How are you and the ladies in Starkvegas?