Sunday, October 15, 2006

Catching Up: Sunday-Tuesday in Prague

After the morning (and only) assembly(described earlier; great to be with them again), we had a potluck with the Prague Christians (good food!), and then I met with the song leaders. After that, Nathan finally got to see Prague. Of the European cities I've seen, I have to say that Prague is the most beautiful. Staromestcke Namesti (Old Town Square), Charles Bridge (built by King Charles in 1357), Prague Castle (seat of CZ government)...great great places. Pictured is a portion of Old Town Square.

Late Sunday evening we got back to Honza and Monica's flat for the night. While we were eating supper with them, the TV was on, and it happened to be tuned to a medical show, and an operation of some sort was being shown. Monica noticed and comments were made about the not-so-appetizing nature of the program, but then Honza mentioned that in fact the operation being shown was "a eunuch surgery." Nathan and I glanced at each other, and then busted out laughing. Honza's mistake, as I quickly realized, was simply incorrect accent placement. Instead of eunuch, he meant unique..."a unique surgery." The same mistake happened once when I lived in CZ, my translator relaying the arguments of the Jehovah's Witness I was studying with as "Jesus cannot be God, because Father is eunuch in His power." It took me a while to figure it out that first time: "They said what?"

Monday we had lunch with Mike and Tatana, and I finally got to enjoy Mike's renowned ribs. Very good, and perfectly complemented by Tatana's potatoes, and typical tomato-cucumber salad. Toured around Prague some more, and then supper with Robert and Tami, who invited Honza and Monica to come also. TWO main dishes: lasagna, and a chicken-spinach casserole. All very good. But best was sitting around the table laughing with these old friends Honza and Robert, and the wives they have each taken since then.

Tuesday Nathan and I ran around Prague a little more in the morning, and then met with Roman Vacha, another old friend of mine from the area in South Bohemia near Ceske Budejovice, where I used to live. Roman took us south for a few days, but that will be my next entry.

No comments: