Thursday, October 26, 2006

Developments in Tiraspol/Benderi

The first of several trivia questions in this and following posts:

What did I ask Nathan as we were leaving to go present the Shakespeare Lecture?

1. What? Didn't you get directions?

2. Hey, what was Shakespeare's first name?

3. Nathan...why is your shirt tucked into your underwear?

4. Uh oh...do you know where I put my lecture notes?

Post your guesses below!

So, the night before the Shakespeare lecture, Serghei's wife Anna told us that we would also be meeting the department head, who allows these lectures by Anna's Christian friends to take place in the university classroom. She further said that we would need to bring some English books as a gift for the woman, and that since we had no way of knowing that ahead of time, that she was already prepared to bring two books she had been given by Americans, she would give them to us, and we could present them to the department head. In the end, I had one somewhat suitable English book with me, with which I could easily part, so we were able to convince Anna to keep the better of the two books she was going to provide.

We enjoyed presenting the lecture. I presented a summary of the play, related the biblical background of its themes, and discussed one of those themes in relation to the play and in general; Nathan then discussed a second theme. There were 40-45 second year English students, only two of which were guys. During the Q&A afterward, nearly all the questions were asked by the two guys. Several questions focused on spiritual things. A few examples: Must we show mercy (a theme of the play) to those who oppose us? What religion are Nathan and I? Were there denominations in the first century? (-in response to my emphasis on the problem of denominationalism and religious division) We had good discussion and made good points. And of course there were other questions of a more general nature. After one of the girls asked our ages, one of the two guys asked her “Which one do you like more?” Also have some indication that the other guy might be willing to study with me.

Tuesday evening was a gathering at the church's meeting place, where Nathan presented a follow-up study to his Sunday morning class discussion of types in the OT.

Next day was Wednesday, which means the road trip to Balti and the women there. Just before Brace Rutledge left here, he talked to the women in Balti about personal study, and spoke to them about the use of a concordance to aid in their study. He also purchased several Russian language concordances for them. On Wednesday, I reminded them of that study and of using concordances, and then provided several words/topics to look up. I let them choose which ones they each wanted. They were to take 20 minutes or more to gather some passages, learn something new or see something interesting about their topic, and be able to tell us all what they found. Well, as any of you who have been to Balti know, it can be a difficult group to keep control of, as they do like to talk. It took forever to get the idea across, to make the topic assignments, and help them get started. By this time, one of the women said that this hour study was really not enough for this, and suggested they take the concordances home, do the work, and we can pull it all together next time. Great idea! So that's the plan, and we go there again tomorrow to see what they have found. As we were winding up on Tuesday, one of the women told me, “Thanks for giving us this work to do.” Yes! That made me feel good. And thanks to Brace for introducing them to the concordance.

Wednesday evening Natasha and son Dennis ate supper with us. I had last minute bought something that looked like steaks to cook, tomatoes to do my Mom's broiled tomatoes, potatoes to boil, and bread. Got home and remembered I can't broil the tomatoes because our stove's oven doesn't work (doesn't even have a door). But I tried something new with them, and it actually turned out really good, and similar taste to what I wanted anyway. Potatoes were good (Nathan's work), except he didn't know to put salt in (but that was easily fixed on our plates), and having potatoes with the peeling was a bit new for Natasha. Then the beef. Found out when Dennis read the label that it was veal. Cool! But how to cook them? No grill, so I just did them in a teflon skillet. Probably not long enough. Or something. I dunno. They looked like they might be done, so we served everything up. As far as rare, medium, or well -done is concerned they were about right. But not very tender. In fact not even a little tender. “Really hard to chew” would be close to the right phrase. We all ate some anyway. At one point, Dennis picked his up with both hands, and tug-bit a hunk out of it. It was sometime near that point in the meal when he looked at me and said, “Not the best meat I ever had.” Well, we all enjoyed the company at least. And the other dishes were good. When they were leaving, Natasha asked for a toothpick like Dennis had, and walking out the door, said “I go outside, and I will continue to eat meat.”


(At left, a park in the city center; at right, the building where we live)

THIS MORNING: TIRASPOL/BENDERI

Nathan and I were prepared with material for questions previously asked when we met with Christians in Tiraspol this morning, several from the Tiraspol church, and three from the Benderi church (both established by inst. brethren). But as soon as everyone was seated, two began relating events from the Benderi church; that one of the them, an older lady, had asked what the collection money was being spent on, and had been told that this information was only the business of the person who had been appointed to take care of the money, that the members had no right to ask such questions, that the preacher there (yet another Serghei) was more mature and knew the justifications for however it is being spent, and that this is sufficient. After more questioning, in particular as to why money wasn't being given to those of the church who are in need, the answer was that the money wasn't being spent on this because it was rather being spent on refreshments/tea for when the people assemble. This woman asking had then come under criticism by many of the rest in Benderi, and only one spoke up to defend her (Sasha, also present this morning).

Serghei Corcimaru responded to some of this and to other important matters, and I discussed the openness of church decision making in the NT church (Acts 6, 15); that churches, not select individuals, were responsible for sending moneys for 1st century purposes; that Paul took measures to handle money honorably in the sight of men; and finally, that such refreshments are not part of the work of the church in the first place. The woman appreciated these points, and asked what they should do, how to handle the situation they are in. Since “Benderi Serghei” clearly will not listen, I suggested she make efforts to share these things with the others. When she said she didn't think she would be able to present it well, I offered for Serghei and I to go with her. So she is planning to invite any and all from the Benderi church to her flat next week, with us there to discuss these things with them. I ask your prayers, and welcome any suggestions.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! Entertaining as always...
~Aaron

Anonymous said...

I've asked Nathan one of those questions before!
But I'm going to guess that you asked choice 4.

-aer

Darryl said...

To AER: Thanks for your guess! We're awaiting other participants!
To April and Holly: so far, judging from one comment on nottoscale about keeping up with the blog, I have to say it's April and Holly zero, Laura B, one.

Anonymous said...

I'll go for the 2nd choice: "Hey, what was Shakespeare's first name?"

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing #5 "All of the above..."

Anonymous said...

I may have posted this in the wrong place. Then I lost my comment somewhere in the Internet ether, though it may show up in addition to this. All that may make statements 1 & 4 seem genetically appropriate, but I could well accept "all the above." Dad, or to Nathan, Papa D

Darryl said...

"~~~~~~" (*insert buzzer sound*) - Disqualification! There is no #5, "all of the above"! Had that been the correct answer, I would have been too humiliated to publish about it.

Anonymous said...

Well? What was the girl's reply to, "Which one do you like more?"
-aer

Anonymous said...

I'll go along with the #4, just cause I know you're usually good enough for directions ahead of time and I've never seen Nathan tuck in a shirt wrong.--Jonathan H.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say #4, but I am curious about #3 in that it would be hard to come up with that possibility unless it had actually happened.

Anonymous said...

(continuing John L's thought on choice #3)

... or unless there were a history of such blunder!