Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Monday: On the ground in Mexico

Since I never got to bed at all before flying out Monday morning, Monday didn’t really have a starting point other than the stroke of midnight Sunday night. Between preparations for my dog staying home alone, making sure I had files with me of various sermon topics and power point presentations, finishing laundry, and packing, I just finished getting ready when Steve Mason drove up at 5:30 am to take me to the airport. Yes, this is perhaps the worst case I’ve had of getting stuff done at the last minute . . . though last December’s trip certainly ranks high, as Daniel, Andres, and Sandra can attest.

The screen at airport security was within my view, and most of my large carry on appeared there as nondescript darkness, but right in the middle shone bright white, clearly and perfectly representing the shape of my fingernail clippers. Once before they were ruled inadmissable, but this time they passed . . . maybe the fact that the guy watching the screen looked away just as my carry on passed through, and looked back just to notice the image very briefly, had something to do with that.

I dozed in and out on the flight from LAX to Mexico City. I doubt I ever reached REM, but it was a bit helpful anyway. Coming into Mexico City airspace, I was impressed with the air clarity . . . for whatever reasons, I was under the impression that it was a horribly polluted city. Dozed off some more from Mexico City to Tuxtla Gutierrez.

Arriving in Tuxtla at 4pm, it was great to see Elver again. With him were 3 other brothers: the driver, Darinel (late 20’s), and two of Darinel’s nephews, Luis (18) and Carlos (14). They quickly showed themselves to be just as likeable as Elver. Elver is 35, currently does the bulk of the preaching at the church in San Cristobal, and is also working on the equivalent of a B.A. in English.



We headed immediately for the meeting place of the church in Tuxtla; there's kind of a standing arrangement that whenever men come to speak at San Cristobal, and necessarily flying in at Tuxtla, the church in Tuxtla meets to hear him speak first. I did request that we stop somewhere where I could pick up just some small something to eat and drink: I hadn’t eaten since breakfast in LA. Arriving then at the meeting place, there was some confusion over just what time the folks there would assemble, something about them not adhering to the daylight savings time change in regard to their assembly time. Seeing they had a chalkboard, I decided to present a lesson which really needs one, a lesson wherein I use graphics to challenge our concept of what the body of Christ is. While brethren universally declare that we are not a denomination, many (most?) nevertheless have a quite denominational view of the church. As I spoke, I could see some initial mental hesitation in their eyes, but as I continued, I could see recognition. They were very appreciative of me being there and speaking, and I was very appreciative of them giving me the opportunity.

Afterward there was food prepared for us all, as one of the families lives right next to the meeting place. Grilled chicken, cabbage thoroughly spiced with jalopeno, beans, grilled whole onions, a cool pasta salad, and of course fresh tortillas. After serving our plates, I noticed there was no silverware to be seen. So I figured I’ll just wait and watch what the others do. Turns out, they use tortillas for an eating utensil, picking up the beans, cabbage, or pasta salad with the tortilla, then biting off the portion of tortilla holding the other food. This is customary in poorer households.

Leaving Tuxtla about 8:30, the sermon topic dominated our conversation as the five of us drove the 45 minutes to San Cristobal, as especially Darinel asked questions about the application of the Biblical principles. Great conversation.

We arrived at Elver’s apartment where I am staying, and after coming in for a few moments, Darinel, Luis, and Carlos went their way. Elver’s apartment is what we would call in English a studio apartment: One room about 12x20, and a kitchen. Elver has supplied for himself the only kitchen appliances, a small dorm-sized refrigerator and a microwave. The sink doesn’t work; there is another sink just outside the rear door in a courtyard area. Also in that courtyard area, shared by several apartments, is the bathroom. The fireplace in the corner of Elver’s large room is a nice aesthetic feature.

I got to bed about 12:30, after basically being up all day Monday and all day Sunday before. I slept soundly except when the neighborhood dogs outside decided they didn’t like each other. They came to that realization three separate times during the night. Each time passed quickly though, and I was deep asleep again.

4 comments:

April Starr said...

Wow, I bet you were tired! But an exciting start to your trip, looking forward to hearing about it! :)

Daniel Reeves said...

Yep, sounds even worse than December. I'm glad you didn't have Andres give you a lift again ;) In Dec, he said he had given something like 12 different people rides to LAX in a single month! A proper gentlemen and airport shuttle, that one. I'm assuming Elver translated for you? Is he fully supported by his preaching, or does he have another job?

Darryl said...

Yes, he is my full two weeks translator. He has some income from brethren in the States, and some from teaching Spanish here.

And yes, Andres is a doer.

Amy said...

Really enjoyed this report and so glad they are putting you to use - I know you will be useful!! Some here know you're headed this way, and are looking forward to it. -amy